200g Colliers Welsh cheddar cheese
8-10 slices of crusty sourdough or baguette bread (medium thickness)
100g parmesan cheese
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 large eggs
2 cloves garlic
1 large scallion or green onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp mint
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cumin seeds, toasted
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp turmeric
Recipe courtesy Naomi J. Mobed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Lightly brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and grill bread in oven for 15 minutes until a light golden colour. Grate both cheeses. Then, add all ingredients above and mix into a glossy paste. Apply on toast and place in oven under the broiler (at 450 degrees F) for 5-7 minutes. Remove and serve warm with chutney alongside it.
Our top 5 cheesy tips:
- Use more than one type of cheese to get the perfect melted texture and strong taste.
- Minimize the amount of oil used so that the bread is not soggy or greasy.
- Try sourdough bread, boule or baguette instead of classic sliced white. The tangy taste of sourdough will compliment the cheese.
- Keep a close eye on the time. 5-7 minutes should do it, but it depends completely on the type of bread and cheese you are using. You want the toast crispy and the inside melted.
- Experiment with different cheeses, herbs and spices. Adventure is the spice of life!